I recently visited Boston on a 5 day trip to attend the Boston International Film Festival where my film was approved and shown.
Something I realized is how much more difficult it seems to be, mentally, trying to work out and maintain healthy eating habits while traveling. Let me first differentiate something. Vacation and traveling can be two separate things. While on vacation, I would expect you to let loose and eat a minute "dirtier," relax a bit more, and not worry so much about training. After all, many of us train and diet To go on vacation and look great. Fine by me! Traveling for firm or other affairs is a bit different. Good habits should be maintained more than if just vacationing for pure leisure.
Something I realized, however, is that once you're out of your realm and into an unfamiliar city, things can come to be difficult. In my case, I went from 75 degree weather to 40 degree weather and rain, so outdoor activities were a more difficult endeavor. Second, I don't belong to a gym in Boston so I had to improvise my resistance workouts. Third, my whole schedule was a bit scattered and I was also jet-lagged for a duration of the trip so all this worked against me. And fourth, when traveling, cooking can come to be difficult or impossible, and so dining out becomes the go-to option, which regularly accounts for less healthy eating options. Yikes! So is it inherent to maintain or improve your physique while traveling, or should you just accept the fact that you'll be set back a few days from your Hollywood Body goals?
There's all the time A Way
Pretty much anytime you leave your relieve zone, i.e. Home, it becomes more difficult to perfect life's normalities. But is it impossible? Of course not. Let's look at all the difficulties we come across while traveling, and how to conclude these issues.
Working Out
So you don't have a gym and the weather sucks. Well, cowboy up and make it happen anyway. I could give you a variety of bodyweight workouts that need minimal equipment, if any, and that I warrant would make you sweat. In fact, right now I have been performing the "Spartacus Workout" which I will be making a video demo of and spin soon. It's a 41 minute full body interval workout using bodyweight and light weight exercises. I need only two 15 lb dumbbells to make this an extremely productive workout. I've been performing this workout 4x a week for 3 weeks and consideration increases in impel and definition. And it can be done with about a 10 foot radius - very convenient and can be done anywhere. Nice!
Pushups, pullups, bodyweight squats - all of these exercises are beneficial and can be done anywhere, anytime. For mass building, they're not the most productive in that regard, but when aiming for the Hollywood Body, mass gain is regularly not the primary goal anyway. I'm not saying I don't believe in heavy weightlifting - quite the opposite. But bodyweight exercises create real-life impel and improve athleticism.
Away from home, running can often be a good option for work outs. Unless you're traveling to the North Pole or the Sahara Desert, you should be able to withstand the weather and head outdoors for a good old fashioned jog. Like I said, Boston was 40 degrees and raining, but I still strapped on my running shoes and made it happen.
You may have to go a minute out of your way, and it may not be as convenient as you're used to, but working out and staying active while traveling can admittedly be done. Don't allow yourself to be lazy just because a minute extra attempt is required. Remember, we are warriors!
Maintaining Good Eating Habits While Traveling
The easy thing to do would be to just say screw it for the duration of your trip and eat every meal out, allowing yourself forbidden foods you'd never eat at home, and "Make it back up when you get home." If a minor setback is not of concern, then you can select to go this route. However, it is not recommended.
Yes, healthy eating will be harder when traveling. But habitual healthy eating is a none-easy task anyway, so you should be used to the challenge. Think about the guilt you can avoid by knowing you came back from your trip and didn't mess up your fitness efforts. The guilt alone should be reckon sufficient to avoid carefree eating.
Okay, if you're without kitchen, cooking yourself connoisseur meals may be tough. You might have to conclude for less glamorous food, but you can still keep it healthy. Personally, I'm on the Paleo eating plan, so I have to be very careful of my food and cook most meals at home. I would probably look for a grocery store, find their ready foods section and grab a rotisserie chicken, take off the skin, and then head over to the yield agency and get some fresh veggies. Maybe some almonds as well. Voila! Diet is still solid with much ease.
If your diet is not as restrictive as the Paleo Diet, you should have no question staying on track. Even when dining out you can make healthy choices. If you're vacationing somewhere exotic with unique food, then please do try it! perceive the cultures of the world and have fun! Of course, if you're somewhere exotic, you're likely there for satisfaction not business, in which case I promote letting loose and having fun!
Inconvenient but not Impossible
So the trend for both working out and eating well while traveling seems to go as follows:
-It will be harder than you're used to when at home, but should not be excused
-Pushups can be done anywhere, as can bodyweight squats, mountain climbers, lunges, etc.
-Healthy food options are all colse to you. We live in an spectacular, world of grocery shop and condition shop within reach. Apply these luxuries, often taken for granted.
I'm not trying to be a fitness nazi here, I'm simply trying to enlighten you and keep you on track to your goals. Like I mentioned earlier, the guilt of arrival back from a 5 day trip of eating fast food and being lethargic is sufficient motivation to jumpstart me into gear. Hopefully, it will be the same for you. If not, find your motivation within - and do what it takes to be a warrior!